2012年2月28日星期二

The Perfect Phone for Mum and Dad

They say that when you are young it is your parents that do all of the worrying about you and then when time passes and they become older, it is you the child that begins to do the worrying about where they are and if they are OK.

Fifty years ago most families lived close to each other, sometimes streets away if they lived in a small tmbt shoes clearance own or village. Communication was constant because you where always walking distance from each other. Today life is a lot different. We are a lot busier, live further away from each other and have gotten used to communicating using technology like the phone.

I don't live far from my parents, about a 20 minute drive but I only get to visit them once a week. Therefore I gave them my old mobile phone a few months ago so that I could keep regular contact with them. I found it very stressful not being able to contact them during the day, wondering if they were OK. You hear horror stories all of the time about the elderly person who falls over in their home and is stuck in the same position for hours until someone decides to visit them and then finds them. These situations can be fatal.

I really should have done more research before I decided to give my parents my old phone. Its battery has never lasted more than a few days and the buttons are a little too small. Then the phone credit on the prepaid plan I had expirmbt sandals clearance ed too quickly. It turned out to be quite frustrating for me and them. My parents actually think it is a complete waste of time and money.

So I took a step back and did some research and there are some very good phones out there designed specifically for the elderly market. You would think that with the size of "Grey" market would warrant it. I guess elderly people don't necessarily like to be identified as being "old" and why would they.

I found two phones in fact. The first is the Oricom EZY100. The EZY100 features, large easy to read display, loud ringer, high visibility buttons, amplified volume, hearing aid compatibility, speakerphone, and an SOS emergency. Sounds pretty good. It retails for about $99 prepaid.

The other phone which has also received quite good reviews is the Doro PhoneEasy 410. The 410 features large keypads,mbt shoes clearance a high-contrast display, amplified sound with hearing aid compatibility, and a clam-shell design so that there's no danger of accidentally making calls. This phone retails for about $169.

Both of these phones come unlocked so that you can use them with any plan and any network. They are available from mobile phone retailer "TeleChoice".

With the research on the mobile phone complete, I turned my attention to the plan. My parents are actually more likely to receive calls than make them. Therefore I wanted a prepaid mobile plan that offered no or very long expiry on the phone credit it offered. Savvytel is one of these plans. What attracted me was that the credit actually never expires, so if I recharged for $50 it should last them pretty much all year and even longer. In fact with call rates at 24c per minute and a 20c flag fall, the credit will last a while even if they do decide to make a couple of calls per day.

I am actually quite happy with these choices. I showed my father the Oricom phone and he liked it quite a bit so I purchased it for him, we also purchased a prepaid sim card from Savvytel. Now they are all set, and I as the responsible child can keep in contact with my parents each day to make sure they are OK.

没有评论:

发表评论